Montag, 14. September 2009

Campus of Jiao Tong University

I want to start out by writing a few lines about the dorms that we are living at until we move somewhere else. Unfortunately, it is very loud here. They are building a new house right around the corner and the construction workers seem to be working 24-7. Besides, the employees seem to be unable to speak with low volume, which makes it very hard to study in our rooms. I’m so glad I brought earplugs! It’s also not the cleanest place that I have ever been to, but oh well. The good thing is: using the washing machine only costs about 20 Cents.

This is me in our room:


and the shower:

The campus is very nice and well-kept. Yesterday and today, we went running on our campus and we experienced that it is huge. We were running for about an hour and I am sure that we haven’t seen everything, yet. Even a highway crosses our campus. I really like the buildings and that they look new.


We have seen a lot of Chinese students wearing camouflaged clothes. We asked a friend and he explained to us that all students (male and female) have to go through military training during their first two weeks at the university. At the end of those days, they march in the footballs stadium and show off what they have learned. We went by the stadium by accident and watched the little parade. Seemed a little strange to me to see this at a university campus, but it reminded me of my year in South Carolina, USA, when I was in the marching band of my school. Here is a picure of them standing in line. You probably have to click on the picture in order to see it better:


Right now, I have to study for an exam which is coming up on Friday (engineering mechanics III). I would rather go sightseeing and check out some places in the city, but there is no time for that. I can’t wait until Friday night when the exam is over. Then I won’t be that busy anymore and hopefully keep the blog updated a little better.
And I hope we can finally manage to eat healthier food. Our nutrition schedule really needs to change. In the mornings we usually eat toast (untoasted of course…we don’t have a toaster) with marmalade or Nutella. Lunch is horrible. We started out by buying a water boiler and eating instant meals. Although they are all supposed to taste different, I got sick of them very fast. Thus I decided to eat bread again for lunch, but this time with sausage. At least we have bought lots of fruits and vegetables that you don’t have to cook. And one of us brought some vitamins that we take in the mornings. In the evenings we eat at restaurants, but generally it takes too long. This is why yesterday we decided to order pizza and today we ate at KFC. I’m really looking forward to having our own apartment and being able to cook! We talked to some of our Chinese friends and they said that they will teach us how to cook Chinese. I’m excited about it and I hope that we will start learning soon!

IN: the weather: still around 30 degrees celsius!
OUT: studying engineering mechanics

P.S.: By now I do know that you guys are not able to write a comment unless you have an account for this website. Thank to everyone who wrote a comment and sent it to me via email :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen